Monday, March 5, 2012

Nickel City Chef Part 2 - Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding, Jerk Chicken, and Rice with Beans and Fish

I took my daughter Samantha with me yesterday to the 2nd battle of Season 4's Nickel City Chef Competition. She was less than enthusiastic at the last moment when she heard that everyone else would be taking a trip to the NoNoo Ramen, a new Japanese noodle shop we've been talking about wanting to visit. But I strong armed her into coming and by the time we were standing in line she was excitedly chatting about the who, what, and why's of the event. 


I won these two sauces, along with the signed book. I immediately knew what we were having for dinner later that night.
The cider was perfect for this Jamaican inspired dish.
I used a mallet to flatten the chicken breasts and then marinated them for 20 minutes in the Jerk Sauce. If I wasn't serving it to my girls I would have taken a whole chicken, quartered it, bagged it and added the sauce, turning it over until fully coated, zipped it closed and refrigerated it over night. 
This saucy chicken just begs to be grilled, but with it being 17 degrees out and blowing icy pellets, that is just going to have to wait a few more weeks.
I adore Japanese sweet potatoes! So instead of a traditional Jewell or Vardaman, I used this deep purple skinned pale tan fleshed potato.
This pudding had cardamon, cinnamon, salt, pepper, ginger, sugar, butter, and cream.
The rice was fried before boiling water was added, then seasoned and then steamed flaked fish and pink beans were added during the last 10 minutes. This was so good when seasoned with Krista's hot sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment