Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sweetness 7 Cafe



Sweetness 7 Cafe has been the impetus for the bourgeoisification of the Westside. The shops like S7 walk a  fine edge between consumerism/ brand name/ gentrification that sometimes happens in economically depressed areas that see a gold rush of properties being snapped up, "repaired" and sold for more than the people of the area could ever afford and




the major social improvements that truly benefit the neighborhood and the people who live in it. I could say all sorts of negative things about S7 and equally praise it. I'll leave it to you to decide. It's really like Powerman 5000's lyrics "This is like when worlds collide".






You have this mix of refugees, Boomer Italian Americans who called the Westside home since they were babies in the 30s and 40s, young hip childless or one baby couples, young families who can't buy into Elmwood Village but want the feel of EV, African- Americans, Hispanics and Latinos, the wealthy, the middle class, the poor, the very poor, homeless, drug addicts, prostitutes, and more. We are a microcosm of humanity in 14213 and I am very happy to live here in my rental, steps from everything and everyone. S7 allows for the community to connect in a healthier way than it has in the last 15 years and I am glad to be a part of it, despite or because of what it brings to our community. My mixed emotional connection to things that are both a positive and a negative to my Westside leads me to hope, and hope can fill the heart while S7 fills the belly.

While there I had the Scottish Breakfast, sans eggs, and a frothy mug of Tokyo Fog. A delightful pairing! I encourage you to give this a go the next time you visit.




No comments:

Post a Comment