Sunday, September 23, 2012

Creamy Vegetable Medley Au Gratin

Garden grown broccoli, celery root,
Wilson St. Sweet Pepper, garden grown swiss chard


My vegetable crisper is filled with oddball veggies. One or two, not enough of each to make a single side dish. So what to do?

I dug out my husband's over forty year old copy of Joy of Cooking and while flipping through the vegetable recipes, saw the au gratin page.

Since he seemed eager to help, I gave my step-son the recipe and ingredients to make the crumbly au gratin while I prepped the veggies.


I cut all of the vegetables into small bite sized pieces and layered them in a glass oven safe bowl.


In a medium saucepan, I made a brown butter roux, whipping in cream and water to create a thin sauce. Then I added grated Parmesan Reggiano, paprika, garlic powder. The cream sauce was then poured all over the vegetables.







Devin blended together 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/4 cup cooking sherry, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 cup grated parmesan, and 1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs. He fluffed the mix together and then sprinkled it on top of the vegetables. 

It went into, covered, a pre-heated oven, set at 400 degrees. It was done after about thirty-five minutes and was excellent with the balsamic roasted hen and rye bread I made to go along with this.



No comments:

Post a Comment